Thursday, September 11, 2008

Mannequin - 1987

I decided to go a little old school for my latest review. I recently picked up Mannequin and Mannequin 2 in a movie two pack. Each movie is on its own disc in the case. I haven't watched Mannequin 2 yet and it's been years since I've seen it, so my review is just on the first one.

Strangly enough, Mannequin has been on cable a lot recently. This is a movie I remember fondly from my childhood. It isn't what I consider top notch cinema, but a fun rompy movie.

It stars Kim Cattral as Ema, an Egyptian transported through time eventually being incarnated into the body of a mannequin. The mannequin is created by often out of work artist Jonathan Switcher played by Andrew McCarthy. James Spader has a stand out performance as the geeky double crossing store manager, and Meshach Taylor is a lot of fun as Hollywood, the super gay widow dresser Switcher becomes friends with. Only Switcher can see Emmy outside of the mannequin form which leads to lots of comic moments and what the film excels at.. montages. There are a few montages in this movie and what really stands out is the fun 80s sound track to go with them. In the end, it's your typical romantic comedy with your typical ending, but still fun when you need comedic cheese in your diet.
I award this comedy 3 Popcorns out of 5

2 comments:

Stratton Family said...

3 popcorns!? lol I LOVED this movie when I was little hahaha

Stratton Family said...

there's a 2?